Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I hate Running

I am not athletic. I used to hate Physical Education subject in Elementary and High School. And I was not a big fan of sports. Back then, I thought it was a waste of time.

Fast forward to 2008. My first job at the YMCA gave me a great opportunity to be a kid again. My work requires that I play with them and be with them. That is why maybe becoming like them was inevitable. I am so jealous of their energy and passion for play. After working for almost a couple of years now as Site Leader of the YMCA's Kids Out Enrichment Program, I learned to play kids' game. I played tag, line tag, duck-duck-goose, everybody's it, four corners, octopus-octopus, and other games that involved a lot of running. And did I have so much fun? Absolutely. One thing I discovered - I have a hint of competitiveness running in my veins.

I am not athletic and I've never dreamed of becoming one. Any physical activities were not just a waste of time... they were ridiculous. It could ruin my hair. I could get sweaty. And it could break my nails. It was my conviction back then. Back then, I was 13 years old going on 30.

Fast forward to the future. I signed up for the Registration Lottery of TD Bank 2011 Beach to Beacon 10k Road Race in August and I have not even ran my first 5k yet. What am I thinking? Good thing I didn't win the lottery or else I am in big trouble. But then, I think it's just one way of saying - I have 1 and a half year to train so I can be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment