Sunday, October 14, 2012

To Run or to Get Ran Over!

Finally, I was able to get back to running. This is my first race after my long vacation in the Philippines and my long pause from training.And speaking of training. I didn't have any prior to this race. It is not my alibi for coming 1st in the "walkers" list or rather 11th in my age category. [And I am not going to mention that there were 11 of us in my age category] LOL It is simply the truth.
As I have mentioned in my previous post - I didn't get a chance to run when I was home except for a couple of occasions. I didn't even have a descent training as soon as I came back from that vacation because I started working 12 hours again. And even if I can run after work, that didn't work out well too because we started to lose light in the afternoon. It is getting dark early and Hubby didn't want me to run in the dark. But still, it's not an alibi. It's the fact.
Well, the fact that I was late too is the culprit - there! Well, I need to point finger at something you know. Wink** It will never be my fault. Nevah! hahahaha
I came just in time when the "GO" was shouted out. I went running... to the registration table to get my number and my shirt. And before I can get ready they were already quarter of a mile ahead. I started running while fixing myself at the same time. My iPod gave me a hard time setting it. My hair was a mess and I had a hard time wrapping my head with a headband to keep my ears warm. It was freezing cold that morning, though beautiful. The fall weather is gorgeous especially in the orchard.
So I ran until I caught up with some walkers. Walked a bit, ran a bit, and crawled one time uphill. I finished at 46:15 and I ran to the food table to help myself with some apple cider donuts!
I signed up for this race because it is for the organization I work for. And being part of the organization I want to be a part of everything they do as well. The 5th Annual YMCA 5K Trail Run/Walk benefits our scholars so it means so much to me. And the fact that it is a trail run at the apple orchard, it made it more interesting to me. So I guess I will be running again next year. I hope I will really run.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! No matter what place you achieved in the race, it's great that you participated, even without a lot of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not the number Ruthi, it's the happiness of being able to be part of something you love, so I salute you, if I were there, maybe, I will be number 12 :)

    ReplyDelete