Saturday, October 6, 2012

iVolunteer

Last Sunday, the 30th of September, I went to join hundreds of volunteers for the Maine Marathon. It was my second volunteering stint [B2B was my 1st] and my 1st for Maine Marathon. It was an awesome experience despite the weather.


I left the house at 5:20am. It was not raining yet when I left and reached Portland a couple of minutes before six. It didn't take long for me to find Julie Scala, the lady in-charged of the Food Tent where I was assigned.

As soon as I saw here she checked my name from the list and handed me my t-shirt, towel [both with Maine Marathon prints on them] and are you ready for this? Sea Dogs ticket!

After we set up the table we waiting for few minutes for the food to arrive. As soon as the food supplies were unloaded, we started chopping, slicing, unwrapping and preparing them. I have never sliced hundreds of oranges in my life until that soggy morning. It was fun!

About 30 minutes before the race starts, runners started gathering in front of the food tent.

I was overwhelmed at the sight of them and a little jealous I guess. Well, it's a "marathon", I don't do marathon. I'm a 5k lady. I was already happy to be a part of this event and one of the 400 volunteers who made the event successful.

I only volunteered for 3 hours [6am to 9am] so that I can take photos of the race. However, I did get the chance to snap some photos before the race start and was so happy to see all these things happening before my eyes.

It was then, that the rain started to pour steadily. I wanted to take more photos but I am afraid that the rain might ruin my camera.
 Taking it all in.
 The Big Bang!
 Here they come!
 The stampede.
 The Lady in rainbow Tutu.
 The Riot in the Cellar guys.
 The moose guy.

As soon as I know I had taken enough photos of the event.
I left hoping that next year I will be able to volunteer again. But deep inside me, I know I am secretly wishing that - one day, I will run the race! wink*

1 comment:

  1. one day you will run the race I know sistah *wink* love the lady in rainbow tutu :-) smiling when I read that part where you volunteered for a certain number of hours so you could have the time to take photos hehe, enjoyed immensely looking at your beautiful shots! mwahugs!

    ReplyDelete