Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Reasons for Running

I wasn't in a hurry to get my bu*t moving to get to the venue for today's race. Why should I? It is barely 5 miles away from home. I could even run my way to get there but that is not really an option. It was kinda cold compared to yesterdays foggy day.
There were only few people there when I arrived. I assumed they were mostly family and friends of the organizers. There were quite a few kids too which I hate because I know those little ones will surely beat me to the finish line. They always do. But I had to admit they are cute and I am jealous.

I got there about 10 minutes before the race time. I checked in and got my number but my t-shirt's size ran out. I was not really very happy about it since it was my only motivation for running. LOL. Anyway, I settled to the next size up available just to get the souvenir of this particular race.
So I got there just enough time to do to some quick stretching before we race. This race is the first ever event organized to benefit Standish Recreation Department dubbed as Running for a Reason 5k. It took the Sabago Lake route in Route 35 though we didn't really run along the lake. We were just given a glimpse of the lake in the distant view when we negotiated the steep downhill going to Windham. And yes, I almost crawled my way uphill going to the finish line.

And true enough, the kids beat me to the finish line. They were already on their second servings of pizza when I crossed the finish line. I placed 8th from the bottom list. LOL Yup, 27th out of the 34 runners. I clocked in 38 minutes and 34 seconds making it 12:28 as my pace time. Oh well, what do you expect? That's what you get when your only reason for running is - to get a free t-shirt.! hahaha

1 comment:

  1. if i were there, maybe i would be the last as i would probably stop to take a lot of pictures along the way :) haha congrats Ruthi, keep on running

    ReplyDelete