Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Starting the year right

It's the New Year and there is nothing more appropriate than starting the year right, right? As for me I started it with Sammy the Seagull's New Year's Day 5k held in Scarborough and organized by Clambake Restaurant. This is one of my favorite races so far... for 2 reasons.
First reason: Hubby was with me. He finally watched me run... well sort of. He just waited for me at the finish line, actually and took a couple of photos. So it's very precious. I have been running for almost 2 years now and this one is the only race he watched or rather went to... to wait for me.
Second reason: There was a seafood buffet right after the race. And that was the "catch" to make Hubby go with me. LOL. So I ran the 5K race and Hubby ran to the buffet table. Just kidding. We both did as well as most of the participants their families. Why not? It's the New Year and we need to celebrate for good luck. And since I ran, I must be burning calories while I stuffed my mouth with fried onions, clam strips, baby shrimps, meatballs, chicken and yes, clam chowdah!
It was a nice sunny day today but cold and windy. The wind was so thick and I had a hard time breathing the entire race. Well, that is one of my alibis for placing 120th out of 135 participants. Or to nicely put... I rank 1st... among the walkers. LOL. However, compared to my last race, I made 2 minutes improvement on my PR which is 37:43 at 12:09 pace. And yes, a 60-year old lady beat me to the finish line again.
And yes, there are 2 things that I found different with today's race. 1. instead of a shirt, which is my main motivation for running... they gave us winter gloves. I don't like it. I need shirt for my collections. And 2. I felt like a celebrity because a cop's car followed me to the finish line suggesting I was indeed the last one to cross the finish line. :(
Well, the race was awesome and even if it didn't go well as I wanted to I was so proud of myself for making a good choice and happy that my Sweetest was with me. I just hope that someday, we will join me in the race even if just walking.

2 comments:

  1. Great, fun post! I'm up from FL visiting for the holidays and just registered for this year's Sammy the Seagull. Will you be running in this year's race?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, fun post! I'm up from FL visiting for the holidays and just registered for this year's Sammy the Seagull. Will you be running in this year's race?

    ReplyDelete