Saturday, February 11, 2012

My 2nd 5k for 2012

The weather forecast was not good this morning. According to Mallory Brooke, it will be snowy and rainy and slushy. Yeah, right!
The temp is still in the freezing point and it is still snowing and raining outside as of this writing. And as of this writing, I am having a warm bowl of shrimp wonton soup with noodles to keep me warm. I threw in some fresh veggies from my salad bag into the soup and it's a perfect after race meal.

Yes, I did the Polar Bear 5k this morning. And yes, Mallory is right... it was snowy... it was rainy... it was slushy. But one thing she didn't know... it was awesome!

I thought it was early enough when I left the house at quarter to eight. But given the wintery situation, I had to drive slowly and carefully in town so I didn't get there as I planned to. I had only 10 minutes to take a breather before the race took off.

The route was breathtaking despite the foggy scenery I had from the mixed snow and rain on my face which gave me blurry my vision of the scenic vista. Anyway, my only goal is to cross the finish line and not to do sight seeing. So I ran on my own pace not minding those people who passed me. After I gained my senses and focused on the road, 3 more people passed me at the mile 2 mark. It was then I realized that the 3 people who passed me were old ladies running on a steady pace.

I started losing control of my feet as I ascent the 100 feet elevation. It was then, I started to panic and thought of changing my plan. Earlier I planned to overtake the elderly lady in front of me since we left the start line. After 20 minutes that she was only a tiny image in my eye at a 200 yards distance, I thought I will just keep running my pace. But after those 3 old ladies passed me by, I just thought of pretending that I had an injury and will just walk limping to the finish line. hahaha
But just as I was about to walk limping... I heard the voice in the microphone saying - and here comes Ruthinian Gregoire of Standish. Then, I sped up and clocked in 39:07 making me 9th to the last. Whew, another finished race, indeed!

And just to set the record straight... I didn't do the plunge. No way! I am not that too crazy yet. Maybe someday. Wink***

3 comments:

  1. Yeyyyy not bad sissy ! So proud of you for running despite the snowy weather !!

    Chay

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Ruthi, your post made me smile, it is so heartwarming to see your smile there as you are approaching the finish line, it's activities such as this that not only test our will power and health, but give us a lot of self realization of what we can do and achieve!!! clapping my hands here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Congratulations! It must have been hard to run with that kind of weather. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete